The guys over at wisebread.com posed an interesting question: how much of what you “say” is actually interpreted through body language and tone of voice? According to Professor Albert Mehrabian only 7% of a message is conveyed verbally, through words. The other 93% is split between tone of voice (38%) and body language (55%). In fact, it’s widely known as the 7-38-55 rule.
Now we all know to prepare answers for a wide array potential questions but how many of us practice positive body language to help us get our next dream job? (more…)
The group’s February 2012 Employment Index highlights with alarm the closure of 440 000 small business closures over the past five years. The gravity of the situation is emphasised by the fact that 68% of all South African workers are employed by small business employing fewer than 50 people.
Loane Sharp, labour economist at Adcorp, identifies several contributing factors:
the 2009 recession;
an increased tax incidence that has fallen significantly more on small businesses than on medium and large enterprises; and labour laws and regulations that have been “particularly onerous” for small businesses.
The Adcorp analysis reveals that employment grew at an annualised rate of 1,5% in February, with the economy having created 24 000 jobs compared to the 80 000 jobs created in January.