Ingrid Kast, CEO at DAV - February 2010
All the more so if this is not part of your everyday routine and you are aiming to attract A-candidates: those with a 90% chance of achieving outcomes that only the top 10% of possible candidates could achieve.
Many factors can derail the recruitment process: inflated CV’s, candidates who exaggerate and those who omit information. These may result in incorrect hiring decisions, often infecting every aspect of our professional and personal lives. According to an American survey, the average hiring mistake not only ends up costing the company 15 times an employee’s basic salary, but also results in lost productivity and affects the employee’s morale.
The average hiring mistake not only ends up costing the company 15 times an employee’s basic salary, but also results in lost productivity and affects the employee’s morale.
Here are some tips to ensure that new recruits have the required skills and are a match for your corporate culture:
Ensuring that a successful candidate is a cultural fit begins with evaluating your company’s culture. Gather your leadership team and ask this simple question: “What adjectives would describe our company culture?” It won’t be long before a picture emerges. This process often yields beneficial insights that go far beyond the hiring process
Gather your leadership team and ask this simple question: “What adjectives would describe our company culture?” It won’t be long before a picture emerges.
Once you have defined the purpose, outcomes, behavioural and cultural competencies for the job, conduct a telephonic screening interview.
You want to hear the candidate speak with passion and energy about their aspirations. Talented people know what they want, have multiple goals and are not afraid to tell you about them. Their goals should ideally dovetail with your company’s needs.
Encourage the candidate to give you 8 to 12 positives so you can build a complete picture of their professional aptitude. Ask for examples.
This question defines the candidate’s areas of improvement. If you see any deal-killers relative to your defined outcomes, remove the candidate from the list.
Notice the use of ‘when.’ Not ‘if we talk to them.’ When. The candidate immediately thinks ”uh-oh, I’d better be honest.”
Ascertaining how realistic the candidate is about their market value early in the process will avoid unnecessary delays over money issues later.
The screening interview will narrow the list down to 3 candidates, all of whom are invited to the next step:
A chronological walk through a person’s career, focusing on their outcomes and competencies. Begin by asking about their educational experience to gain insight into their background. Then ask five simple questions for every job they have had in the past years:
Generally people who perform well are pulled to greater opportunities. Be careful not to recruit someone who has been of low value in 20% or more of their previous jobs.
Whatever the candidate says, you’ll understand it fully when you can literally picture it. To do this, be curious and ask questions, don’t assume you know what is meant. For example, a candidate might say he is an excellent communicator, for clarity ask them to give you an example of when their excellent communication skills worked to their employer’s benefit.
An in-depth interview for a senior position can easily take up to three hours (junior positions will take less time). If a similarly thorough interview is done by a professional recruitment company, they will supply you with a complete picture of the candidate in a much shorter time
We are in the business of helping companies make better recruitment decisions.
H - HH